Friday, October 26, 2012

Pujo Sankhya Books 2012 ` Bengali Durga Puja Books


So Durga Puja is over and I did get my little share of the annual Puja special magazines and books. Though I was astounded to realise that the main books (in fact all editions and titles except one!!!!) were sold out in Mumbai on the first day itself. That was quite a disappointment to me and many others who have no other place to buy any Bengali language books (even though it may take us years to properly read ONE page of bangla!!!)


But book stall and I come out without buying anything? Hahaha..thats something my dear friends that can never ever happen, not even if I come out with a case of losing my mind! So of course I did buy something.....Here's what:



This, other than the magazine called 'Desh' is the only Bengali magazine title I have heard. I've managed to read an earlier edition of Shanonda only once, but never got to finish that! This is the Shanonda Durga Puja edition 2012. This time I am determined to finish this, no matter how long it may take me (you see, I'm doing this international book challenge thing where I'm to read 70 books this year and I've finished reading 57, but this happened to be the 58th I picked up and now my book reading challenge is in serious threat from Shanonda!!!!)

By the way, what's with the cover? I mean, yes, she is quite good-looking, but isn't puja special to be a little more Indian and traditional-oriented? Or is Kolkata eager to do away with it?





I've never heard of this one, it's called Poroma Durga Puja edition 2012 and this was recommended by the book stall kaku....haven't checked it out yet...but really pretty cover...loved the style....













This is the Desh story compilation from earlier years, is this 2005-2007 or 2005-2009??

This was the one that I have earlier heard about and seen my parents buying from the Delhi Durga Puja book stalls. So when I saw a collection of short stories from Desh, I thought it should be okay to buy for myself too. I will finish this in this lifetime...









And now, the scariest of them all..........

Kaachher Maanush by Suchitra Bhattacharya

Why I'm saying this is the scariest? This has 646 pages of bangla!!!!!!!! When it takes me like a year to read, and that too with loads of mistakes and without understanding half the words, a single page of bengali, how am I going to finish an entire novel thats all of 646 pages in bengali?!

I'm actually reading a short story by this lady right now (in Shanonda) and I've seen one of the movies that's based on her book Icchhe and really loved it. So when I heard this is the same person, I had to pick it up. I will I will I will finish this some day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...