Tuesday, January 8, 2013

15 Minutes of Tolerating the 'Paglu'panti!!!

I first saw this face I guess about a year back. Before that I had no idea about who were the popular ones amongst Bengali commercial cinema (and by commercial here I mean movies that are meant for the masses, for anyone and everyone, that are supposed to be out n out entertainers without much of anything else being taken into consideration).

This happened when my satellite provider added a few more 'regional' channels to our pack, and as a result of which I got some song channel under the Bengali regional category. It was while browsing that I came across this young man, who, I later got to know, is Dev. To be honest, I liked his looks from the very first moment, in the sense that his eyes were pretty interesting, and he had sharp features, was a great dancer and was generally fit, tall and looked great on screen. And he was gyrating to a song called 'Paglu Thoda Sa Kar Le Romance' sung by Mika, that I found really entertaining.

From then on, every time I would browse through the channel, this face was always a constant, along with another, whose name I don't know, but whose pic I am sharing here, so if you know his name, do comment below for my knowledge ;-)

I know for a fact that this guy isn't a bengali, but I think he's lived there all his life or something like that. I like his non-conforming looks in Bengali cinema. I haven't seen any of his movies. So, along with Dev, this guy is the only other face I see on the one Bengali song channel I have, SB Superhits I think its called.

So now, getting back to what I wrote in the title about 15 Minutes of Tolerating the 'Paglu'panti!!!


Well, the one thing that I must give to this pair is that they look good, really good. I love the attitude, I love the styling, I love the way they want to flaunt themselves, which is pretty cool, and I love the way they are so confident of themselves and know that they are looking good...all signs of a kick-ass attitude that I so love!

By this time I had seen the song Paglu quite a lot of times and had started enjoying it a lot. And then, as happens in most cases, I thought if the song is so cool and the actors look so good, the movie must be super cool. I got the movie 'Paglu' on my laptop and decided to watch it. When the movie started, I got quite a shock, as I found it extremely tacky, nonsensical, idiotic, dumb, crappy, crass, silly!!!! You get the drift? And this was in the first 5 minutes. I thought it was just a phase and decided to forward the movie. But even that didn't help. The movie was horrible! And Dev, when he opened his mouth and spoke....all hell broke loose!!! It was as irritating as watching a road side crap guy trying to mouth hero-style dialogues from a Bollywood movie and try to look like a dude! I wish Dev didn't have any dialogues. I watched for 10 minutes and braced myself to try and watch a little more. But I could only endure the next 5 minutes....After 15 minutes of watching Paglu, I knew what I had to do. I closed the movie, pressed Shift+Del and forever spared myself and my laptop of being in the vicinity of this one.

For me, it was a sad demise of a movie, and of a star....For me, Dev will now only remain someone who looks good and dances well, but that's all....to me, he's not an actor, with all due respects to him and to his million fans.....Dev, if you read this ever (which I doubt), do know that this is not to show you down, but that I was really disappointed. And my readers, if ever you come across a movie of his that you think is really good and has sense in it, please don't forget to drop me a mention of it here in the comment section.

- Debolina Raja Gupta

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha..awesum... the part which i liked most in your post is "when he opened his mouth and spoke....all hell broke loose!!!" :D this complain keeps on coming from every "anti dev" people...itz been quite a few years that he has been in this industry and still he hasn't learned how to act!! according to me he is a good dancer but a terrible actor...and since you wanted to know whether there is any tolerable movie of his...i have to disappoint you by saying NO.. there is no such :P but let me give you a little piece of info...he is busy shooting for a movie based on a very famous adventure novel by Bibhutibhushon Bandopadhyay "chander pahar" where he is playing the read role shankar...and i am much more disappointed by this news since Shankar i's one of my fav characters and i just dont want to see that incorrigible paglu protraying that very same character :'(
    and btw the second pic above is of Jeet...his movies are as incorrigible as of Dev..with the exception of very few i guess :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..Thanks for not taking it the other way! About him opening his mouth was that I first saw him dancing to that song, I guess about 8 months back, and loved his dance, and I think I already created an image of him there and then. But in the movie, the moment he opened his mouth, I realised that not only was his not voice not what I was expecting, but even the way he spoke and what he spoke were a complete bonker!!! I will never go that way again..But otherwise, he's a looker and a fab dancer...thoroughly enjoyed :-) the dance I mean ;-)
      I don't know about 'Chander Pahar' but I can understand what you must be going through...
      About the other one, well, just to say that I'm definitely watching any of their movies ever again....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...